August 6, 2009 Minutes

MINUTES
REGULAR MEETING
ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
AUGUST 6, 2009 @ 8:30 a.m.

Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair  
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Taylor Meals
Sydney Crampton
Phyllis Wright

Staff:
Richard L. Rollo, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Attorney
Maureen Cronk, Administrative Assistant

1.    The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.

2.    ANNOUNCEMENTS – Because those in the audience may not understand the budgeting process as it concerns the V9 sewer project and future projects, Mr. Rollo explained and recapped what has transpired and the processes that must be followed in continuing with the sewer project. No other announcements were made.
     
3.    PRESENTATIONS
       a)    SERVICE AWARDS – Chair Samuels presented a 5 year service award to Ralph Smith with thanks.     The service award for Rory Moser was accepted by Roger Quick.
     
4.    PUBLIC INPUT
       a)    Ken Hennings (475-6947) 1720 Padre Lane – We were told that 4 years ago the (sewer project) was ready but a business decision was made to stop and go to another area where there would be a better “bang for the buck”. Now we’re being asked to pay more money than 4 years ago. We shouldn’t be penalized for that delay, when we were ready.

       b)    Mrs. Friedell (475-6524) 1630 Maria Street – On 6/18 we presented petitions and e-mails asking you not to proceed (with the V9 project).  At the end we felt good about you; you heard and understood.  Now 7 weeks later what has changed? Not employment, not finances, we’re hurting.  To ask to go forward to come up with money for sewers is not fair and not right.  7/17 the Finance Director said she tried to keep the budget flat; for whom? Not us.  I feel it’s an insult to homeowners who made our voices heard; and an insult to Ms. Wright, Ms. Crampton and Mr. Meals to be on the spot again 7 weeks later.  Hope you will all vote in our favor this time.  I have a letter dated 4/4/06 saying we were not included in the 5-year construction plan.  Now suddenly it’s been ready for years.  I put in a new drainage field understanding that I’d get some use out of it.  I beg you to not proceed with the expansion in our area at this time.

       c)    Robert Kiedrowski (460-1803) – 2075 Lemon Avenue I was under the impression the next discussion would be next year in a larger venue when more could attend.  Are meetings posted in the paper? People feel like you’re pulling a fast one.  Our septic systems are approved and designed by the state of Florida; they work great. We don’t want the system and don’t feel we need it.

       d)    Michael Trzaska (475-7252) – 1592 Maria Street – I understand that for a non-advalorem lien there must be a benefit to the homeowner.  I don’t see a benefit when I have a good septic system. We can’t afford it; why do we have to pay for something we don’t want or need? 

       e)    Larry Reister (473-3245) 6810 Manasota Key Road – EWD is a fine well run efficiently operated water department.  We appreciate the good tasting water.  It’s a question of do septic systems pollute?  Recent articles quoting water board top officials say septic systems pollute; a flat out statement.  The Florida State Health Department. (distributed letter from Dr. King) states that systems properly installed since 1984 do not pollute.  Pumping from the Key to your plant will create lots of CO2. I don’t think a cost benefit study has been done, but if you do one, you will find overruns in cost will be that the cost of sewering the Key will be borne by the mainlanders as well as the Key residents.

       f)    Michael Traska returned to the podium to ask will the system work in the absence of power.

In response to 2 questions, Mr. Rollo advised the advantage of the vacuum system is that the stations have emergency generators that come on automatically.  System is maintained during power loss.  He also addressed Mr. Henning’s statement “You pulled off 4 years ago to go to another area”.  We pulled off to expand the treatment plant to handle the rapid growth in our area, not to continue sewering a different area.
       
5.    CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments and/or objections to the consent section.  Hearing none, 

Mr.Manke moved, “to accept the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of July 16, 2009 as presented” seconded by Mr. Meals – Unanimous  09-08-06 CS A
     
6.    ACTION ITEM – None

7.    DISCUSSION ITEM – Mrs. Zoeller conducted a page by page presentation of the proposed FY10 budget.

       a)    Operations Budget – includes a 4% base charge increase, and acknowledges the lost revenue from CCU and the 1% sales tax from Sarasota County.  Mr. Ray pointed out that in addition to the proposed operating budget there are always unexpected items that come up that will require funding.

Lengthy discussion ensued addressing Board member questions on several line items in the Operating Budget, insurance, maintenance, and operating capital items.
       b)    CIP Budget – Mr. Linden reviewed each listed project for the CIP for FY10. 

Comment on future items – Middle Beach North and South, and South Key Water – older water line replacements.  At that time we’ll possibly put a sewer collection line using the old water line.  This also would improve fire protection when installing 8” lines. This project is currently slated for the FY13 budget.

Mr. Rollo commented that most projects are driven by revenue.  These are summary charts.  If Board members want to see details of departments or divisions, Ms. Zoeller will be available to review with you individually.

Mr. Rollo continued, explaining the reclaimed water shortages and up-coming meeting scheduled for August 18 with our reclaimed water customers.  Telemetry may be needed to monitor actual usage.
 
8.    ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Richard L. Rollo, PE
       a)    OPERATIONS DIVISION MANAGER’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
              1)    Roger Quick, Chief Water Plant Operator
                     i)    R/O expansion all but completed; punch list items remain.
              2)    WUP – SWFWMD and PBS&J working on it; hopefully by end of month.  We’ve done everything they’ve asked for.
              3)    WRF – refurbishing tanks; final walk thru completed.  Flow is down.
              4)    Collections – Muffin Monster installed.  I&I at Boca Royale almost done; returning in September to complete.  We will continue to update older lift stations for maintenance and reliability. 
              5)    Distribution – installing service lines.  Replacing and maintaining valves, maintenance of hydrants, flushing etc. 
              6)    Ready for hurricane season; generators run 4-hours every month.

      b)    TECHNICAL SUPPORT MANAGER’S REPORT – Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, PE
Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
             1)    Winchester Boulevard South extension seems to be active again, the County is asking for some easements.
             2)   Reclaimed Water – meeting with customers August 18.
             3)  Overbrook Bridge – we received our refund from Sarasota County.
             4)   System Modeling – Purchased modeling software and are adding data on existing customers.  This software will allow us to estimate the impact of large developments on the system. State law says developers must pay for themselves.  This will allow us to see what needs to be done and what the developers’ cost will be. We’re doing this in house now so when they are ready we are prepared.
 
      c)    FINANCE DIRECTOR’S REPORT – Sonia R. Zoeller
             1)    Billing system – transitioning to an off-site system.  Training has started this week.  Hope to be up and running by the end of September.
             2)   Committee Meeting today for the Auditor Selection RFP.

Mr. Rollo continued. Our IT tech will be leaving next week. Ms. Zoeller will meet with our IT consultant to develop an advertisement for a replacement and he will participate in the interview process.

9.    ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – None

10.   OLD BUSINESS – None

11.   PUBLIC COMMENT – None

12.   NEW BUSINESS – None

13.   BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – None

14.   ADJOURN @ 10:03 a.m.

 

_____________________________
Paul F. Manke, Vice-Chair
/tlh