ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
MAY 21, 2009 @ 8:30 a.m.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Richard L. Rollo, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Attorney
Maureen Cronk, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. PUBLIC INPUT – Dorian Popeseu, 1720 Hudson Street (474-2973) Mr. Popeseu spoke about item 6B, complimenting Englewood Water District on being one of the most financially responsible Special Districts in Florida. He has no problem with his septic tank but feels that the District needs to fulfill a promise made 15 years ago and expand the sewer system.
4. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels called for comments to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Manke moved “to accept the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of May 7th, 2009 and the Attorney’s invoice dated May 4th, 2009 as presented”
a) Minutes of the Regular Meeting May 7, 2009 09-05-21 CS A
b) Attorney’s Invoice dated May 4, 2009 09-05-21 CS B
5. ACTION ITEM – None
6. DISCUSSION ITEM
a) Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority – M.O.U. Mr. Rollo introduced the draft Memorandum of Understanding. This is a general MOU and not binding. Mr. Rollo recommends we continue the dialog and discussion and look for an opportunity that is mutually beneficial. We have proposed a scope of work that will take advantage of our idle capacity, about 1-1.5 MGD that no one is using.
b) V9A & V9B Sewer Projects – Mr. Rollo introduced the item. Maps show the V9A and V9B area boundaries. Lengthy discussion ensued. Based on guidance from the Board, staff will prepare two assessment rolls covering the V9A and V9B areas, engineers will have drawings for both V areas available for public hearing and a resolution will be prepared for the next Board meeting.
7. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Richard L. Rollo, PE (Verbal)
a) OPERATIONS DIVISION MANAGER’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
1) R/O expansion – progressing; pouring concrete today, estimated 60-90 days to completion.
2) CCU Interlocal connection – closed yesterday by CCU.
3) WRF- working on second tank and preparing for the 50-year celebration.
4) Collection system – I&I in Boca Royale commenced; 3-week project, followed by manhole rehabilitation mid-June.
5) Dataflow – 100% telemetry on all lift stations and vacuum stations.
6) Collections – continuing to install single vents to replace “candy canes” in low lying areas.
7) Distribution – working on meter replacement and line replacement.
8) Reuse system – line break was repaired at Oyster Creek Golf Course.
b) TECHNICAL SUPPORT MANAGER’S REPORT – Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, PE Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates with 1 addition.
1) Sarasota County has requested a meeting to update their comprehensive plan; this is done every five years.
c) FINANCE DIRECTOR’S REPORT – Sonia R. Zoeller
1) Income Statement as of April 30, 2009 (reviewed above)
2) Working on the 2010 budget build.
3) Red-flag rule from Federal Trade Commission – Identity Theft Protection compliance deadline is August, Ms. Zoeller and Ms. Franklin Customer Service Manager, are working on it.
d) Dropsaver final report – Ms. Herzog reviewed her written report, thanking the Board members for their participation and support.
e) Anniversary party – Ms. Cronk reviewed our progress.
8. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – None
9. OLD BUSINESS – None
10. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
11. NEW BUSINESS – None
12. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – Mr. Samuels, Mr. Rollo and Mr. Linden attended the PRMRWSA reservoir dedication last week. It is a very nice facility.
13. ADJOURN @ 10:38
Paul F. Manke, Vice-Chair