ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
OCTOBER 1, 2009 @ 8:30 a.m.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Taylor Meals (absent)
Phyllis Wright (absent)
Richard L. Rollo, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Attorney
Maureen Cronk, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – Mrs. Effrem has asked to reschedule to next meeting.
Ms. Zoeller introduced Maurice Tindell as our new IT support person. Mr. Rollo and the Board welcomed him.
3. PUBLIC INPUT- None
4. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Stevens asked for comments or objections to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Manke moved, “to accept the Minutes of the Regular Meeting September 17, 2009 as presented” Seconded by Ms. Crampton
Unanimous 09-10-01 CS A
5. ACTION ITEM – None
6. DISCUSSION ITEM
a) Audit Selection Committee – Ms. Zoeller referred to the list of auditor rankings that was distributed. After hearing presentations, the Committee ranked each firm, (attached) and recommends proceeding with contract. After brief discussion of any legal requirements to change firms periodically (none), and the fees, the Committee was authorized to proceed. Attorney Berntsson will review the final agreement before it comes back to the Board for acceptance.
b) Miscellaneous rates, fees and charges. Mr. Rollo introduced the item. Section 27 of the Customer Rules & Regulations was distributed. Miscellaneous charges and fees have not been increased since 2006, and need to be made current. With the Board’s approval, staff will review the fees and bring back to a later meeting.
7. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Richard L. Rollo, PE
a) OPERATIONS DIVISION MANAGER’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
1) Karen Ernst, Laboratory Director
a) Injection well permit renewal – a lot of sampling and testing, expensive but it went well.
b) EWD safety committee – Richard Court is the representative from the lab. He does a good job. The lab has started having our own safety meeting as a reminder to not become complacent in the work place. The Board thanked Ms. Ernst for running such a competent lab.
Mr. Ray continued, the ASR conference in Orlando highlighted the award we received. EWD’s ASR success story was brought up by a firm out of California.
2) WTP- wrapping up RO expansion project just waiting on a door.
3) WUP- submitted last response, hopeful in 30 days will see a draft; we’ve been waiting 7 years.
4) WRF- good shape, still looking at headworks.
5) Collections – Boca Royale relining project is still underway.
6) More Pit bottoms have been lost, 3 in the last month.
b) TECHNICAL SUPPORT MANAGER’S REPORT – Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, PE
Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates
1) Water Use Permit – a meeting is scheduled with Englewood CRA on October 8th.
2) Winchester Blvd Extension – easement has been signed by EWD. However, the project is not in the 5 year CIP budget for Charlotte County.
3) South Manasota Key Drainage Improvements – revised documents have been reviewed and approved. It will be going to bid soon.
4) Sarasota County Sidewalk Project – proceeding with relocation of utilities, it’s not going to bid until 2012. Draft JPA has been sent to the County.
5) Plans for a new Walgreens on the corner of Pine St & 776 have been reviewed and sent back to the engineer.
6) A proposed task order with GWE for further design of the V9-B area will be presented at the next Board meeting.
7) Legislature requires SWFWMD to do a 2030 reuse plan for reuse systems in the South West Florida Water Management area. We reviewed it and sent it back.
Mr. Rollo concluded, the date for the public hearing for the V-9 areas should be chosen at the November 5th Board meeting so a location for the public hearing can be secured.
c) FINANCE DIRECTOR’S REPORT – Sonia R. Zoeller
1) The final assessments have been submitted to both counties.
2) We are working on the new budget numbers for FY10, the final report for FY09 may be ready for the next board, it is still projected we will come in under budget.
8. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – none
9. OLD BUSINESS – none
10. PUBLIC COMMENT – none
11. NEW BUSINESS – none
12. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
a) Mr. Samuels acknowledged that the budget is never easy and thanked staff for doing such a good job.
13. ADJOURN @ 9:23 am
Paul F. Manke, Vice-Chair