ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
JUNE 17, 2010 – 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Michael J. Ray – Administrator
Robert Berntsson – District Counsel
Maureen A. Cronk – Secretary to the Board
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. PUBLIC INPUT – None
4. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments, corrections and/or objections to the Consent Section. Hearing none, Mr. Manke moved, “to accept the Minutes of the Regular Meeting of May 20th and the Attorney’s Invoice dated June 2nd, 2010 as presented” Seconded by Ms. Crampton
a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting May 20, 2010 10-06-17 CS A
b. Attorney’s invoice dated May June 2, 2010 10-06-17 CS B
5. ACTION ITEM – None
6. DISCUSSION ITEM – None
7. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray – Mr. Ray explained Ms. Zoeller and Mr. Quick’s absence, both had a death in the family and were called out of town.
a. WATER OPERATIONS – Roger Quick (absent)
i. LABORATORY DIRECTOR – Karen Ernst – Ms. Ernst recapped the FSEA Seminar
which staff attended. Changes to FSEA rules and regulations that will take place in 2011 were covered.
b. JARL ‘JAY’ D. LINDEN, TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
i. ASR Supplemental Water Source – The project is proceeding, a minor permit modification has been submitted to DEP to do this study. Five monitor wells have been installed to record the ground water levels.
ii. Wellfield No. 5 – The agreement with Sarasota County has been approved, the site is cleared and ready to have the well installed.
iii. Water Main Extensions – Two streets in Charlotte County are finished. Testing is complete; waiting for DEP clearance.
iv. South Manasota Key Drainage Improvement – Phase II is finished. Our portion of Phase I will be completed in 2-3 weeks. Line extensions that were not on the plans were added, we have money in the budget but will be over the original bid price.
v. Dearborn Street Drainage Project – The 60% plans have been reviewed.
vi. Sarasota County Water Interconnect – Agreement has been signed.
vii. Elevated Tank Painting Project – The notice to proceed has been issued; completion date is November 4, 2010.
viii. Reuse Customer Meeting – Met with customers in Oak Forest and Stillwater May 25th the irrigation schedule has been adjusted until July 9th.
Mr. Ray continued,
c. Water Conservation Summit – The summit is scheduled for June 24, 2010. The meeting will cover conservation and plans for future supply. In addition to other regional members, EWD Board Members have been invited. Mr. Samuels, Ms. Crampton and Mr. Ray will be attending the summit.
d. Charlotte County 20/50 Comprehensive Plan – There is some wording about managed neighborhoods and not allowing future development or water and sewer services. Attorney Berntsson is unaware how this will affect the District; a letter of concern will be sent.
e. SONIA ZOELLER, FINANCE DIRECTOR (absent) In the absence of Ms. Zoeller, Mr. Ray reviewed the financial reports.
i. Financial Statement – May 30, 2010
ii. Investment Report – May 28, 2010
8. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – None
9. OLD BUSINESS – Mr. Ray included the requests for sewer from Hudson Street and Thomas Street in the board packet. The customers have been informed of the Board decision to revisit the V9 area for the budget build of 2011.
10. PUBLIC – None
11. NEW BUSINESS – None
12. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – Mr. Samuels made reference to an article (Part time help wanted- by Todd Tracy) in the Englewood Edge on line newspaper. A copy of the article will be made available to the Board.
13. Ms. Crampton expressed concern for the community and the future of the District during the oil spill in the Gulf.
ADJOURN @ 9:02
Paul F. Manke, Vice Chair