ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
MARCH 4, 2010 – 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Phyllis Wright (absent)
Richard L. Rollo, PE – Administrator
Michael J. Ray – Deputy Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson – District Counsel
Maureen A. Cronk – Secretary to the Board
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. PRESENTATIONS: Chair Samuels made presentations with thanks for their service.
a. Service Awards – Mike Wise – 25 years
Tim Garland – 20 years
Glendene Werman – 20 years
James Dixon – 5 years
4. PUBLIC INPUT – None
5. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments and/or corrections to the Consent Section. Hearing none,
Mr. Manke moved, “to accept the consent items as presented” Seconded by Mr. Meals
a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting February 4, 2010 10-03-04 CS A
b. Minutes of the Special Meeting February 18, 2010 10-03-04 CS B
c. Attorney’s Invoice dated February 2, 2010 10-03-04 CS C
6. ACTION ITEM
a. Reassign Mike Ray as Administrator – Mr. Samuels introduced the item which appoints Mr. Ray as Administrator immediately, and Mr. Rollo as Deputy Administrator for the duration.
Mr. Meals moved, “To accept Michael J. Ray as Administrator EWD immediately, and reassign Richard L. Rollo as Deputy Administrator” Seconded by Ms. Crampton
During discussion Chair Samuels acknowledged the accomplishments of the past 9 years in which Rich was deeply involved. A good legacy; you will be missed. Don’t be a stranger.
Unanimous 10-03-04 A
Mike acknowledged Rich’s leadership, calling EWD a well-oiled machine. Looking forward to continued success of EWD.
7. DISCUSSION ITEM – None
8. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Richard L. Rollo PE
a. MICHAEL J. RAY, DEPUTY ADMINISTRATOR
1) Roger Quick, Acting Operations Manager
2) Water use is down, 2.5 mgd; probably due to rain and cold weather.
3) The elevated tank has been inspected inside and out. Structurally sound; paint and surface rust will be addressed shortly.
4) Filter #3 to be refurbished; this is the last one to be done.
5) Week of March 15 Mechanical Integrity Test on IW#1 will take place. Radioactive dye tracer and camera to insure no leaking of the pipe.
b. JARL ‘JAY’ D. LINDEN, TECHNICAL SUPPORT MANAGER – Absent
c. SONIA ZOELLER, FINANCE DIRECTOR
1) Financial Reports – Ms. Zoeller reviewed the Financial Reports as of January 31, 2010 responding to questions from the Board.
2) We received a $138,000 check from Sarasota County representing our portion of the 1% sales tax. This was unexpected as we thought the agreement had concluded last year. The County had advised that there were several projects that were being amended into their list; perhaps this has taken place.
3) Draft audit report has been received. Working on management discussion and analysis and should have a final report for the April 1 meeting.
4) Continuing to train new accounting staff.
Mr. Ray continued, reviewing Mr. Linden’s written report with some updates.
d. Sarasota County Interconnect – we received a draft interlocal agreement and returned it with comments. Their cost estimates are still high in our opinion. We’ve offered a not to exceed of $75,000. They’re doing preliminary engineering design in hopes of getting a better estimate. We’re not giving them an open ended agreement. It’s a simple connection; under the road, two taps and a meter. Similar to the Charlotte County interconnect where we spent $40,000.
e. Mr. Meals questioned the sidewalk project. If the sales tax falls short, this won’t be a priority. How long does the engineering last. Mr. Ray replied that the engineering shouldn’t change significantly. Permits are 5-years.
9. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson
a. Thanks to Rich; enjoyable. Some heated discussions, learned a lot from him. Looking forward to working with Mike.
b. Sunshine Law update. Bob Benedict will handle next meeting. We’ll do it on 4/1
10. OLD BUSINESS – None
a. Paul Manke – the Special Meeting – withdrawn.
11. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
12. NEW BUSINESS
Chair Samuels advised that the Charlotte County Charter Review Commission is gathering information from public agencies that interact with the County and have asked the Chair to attend a meeting. If agreeable I’ll go, unless someone else wants to go. Mike may also attend. Mr. Berntsson advised that he is the Attorney for that Commission.
13. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
a. Mr. Meals – thanks to Rich for his service. Built a good team. Lots of progress as a utility. Working relationship with other agencies has improved dramatically under your leadership. Wish you the best.
b. Ms. Crampton – agree. Thanks for your service. Hopefully you’ll stop and see us.
c. Mr. Manke – It’s been a pleasure to work with you
d. Mr. Samuels – Best of luck; it’s been fun. And Mike, looking forward to your leadership. EWD has a tremendous history over 50+ years of doing good for the community. Progressive utility although small. EWD received accolades in the Water & Waste Water Digest article for being 1st in FL to get an ASR permit. We continue to get people coming to us asking how we did things; getting national attention. Hopefully we will continue to be progressive, aggressive and continue to do the things that have made the District as strong as it is today.
ADJOURN @ 9:00 a.m.
Paul F. Manke, Vice-Chair