ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
OCTOBER 21, 2010
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair
Phyllis Wright (absent)
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Maureen A. Cronk, Secretary to the Board
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS –Financial statement hand out was distributed.
3. PUBLIC INPUT – None
4. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments, objections and/or corrections to the Minutes. Hearing none,
Mr. Manke moved, “to accept the Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated October 7, 2010 as presented” seconded by Mr. Meals
a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting October 7, 2010 10-10-21 CS A
5. ACTION ITEM
a. Procurement & Inventory Control Policy – Mr. Ray introduced the item. Section 8.0 was added to include the acceptance of gifts and gratuities. Although not completely satisfied with the wording, Attorney Berntsson encouraged adopting the policy as written so there is a starting point, but more time should be taken to develop the policy further. After some discussion,
Mr. Manke moved, “to accept Section 8.0 of the Procurement and Inventory Control Policy as presented, with further discussion to take place at a future meeting” seconded by Mr. Meals
Unanimous 10-10-21 A
6. DISCUSSION ITEM – Mr. Meals referred to an article in the Englewood Sun “Charlotte Okays sewer pilot project” (attached), questioning what grants are available and how can using grant money in only one area be justified. What grant are they looking for and is it available to us? Mr. Linden responded that he spoke with DEP and USDA and based on zip code, the US census, and income, our area does not qualify as economically depressed, and therefore we do not qualify for grant money.
7. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a. WASTEWATER OPERATIONS – Phil Wagoner
1. DMK has surveyed the reject pond and monitor wells; we are waiting for the reports. SWFWMD is funding 50% of this project.
2. Ordered the priming system to be added to the existing pump, to allow pump-down of the pond. Testing to pull ground water as well as reuse water to recharge the ASR well will begin soon.
3. We only put 16 MG in the ASR well in the last month.
b. JARL ‘JAY’ D. LINDEN, PE – TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1. Lab – The inspectors were here for 3 days. We passed but some revisions were requested and they will be back in 3 months to check it.
2. Dearborn Street Drainage Project – The cost estimate on this project is $450,000. We are reviewing plans and more hydrants will be added if possible. 3. Valve Pit test– AirVac was here last week for the trial procedure to fix the valve pit bottom failure issue; it does not look promising.
4. CCU – the quarterly exercise of the interconnect was performed Wednesday.
5. Lemon Bay League Meeting – Mike will attend, discussing the sewers that have been added to the Gottfried Creek area.
7. SWFWMD Water Conservation Meeting – Roger will attend. 8. Peace River Manasota Regional Water Supply Authority – Mike will attend this yearly meeting. The interconnect will be discussed; EWD is prepared to provide the agreed amount of 1MG a day.
c. SONIA ZOELLER, FINANCE DIRECTOR
1. Susan Franklin – Customer Service Manager
a) Automation of billing – Auto pay can now be done on line. There are 872 people utilizing e-notification, and we are looking at possible incentives to get more people to use this feature. We absorb the credit card transaction fees as cost of doing business; the fees are minimal.
b) Backflow testing continues, commercial yearly, working on GIS to sync up.
2. Investment Report as of September 30, 2010 – $12.6M incudes pull-down for the debt service payment. Staff is working on the preliminary audit. Auditors will be on site next week and return in January.
3. Financial Statement as of September 30, 2010 – as of yesterday, still processing September invoices. We’re under budget on expenses and over a little on revenue. Water revenue is still low and not sure why; working on it. Assessment budget is over, many payoffs. Interest income will be under. CCC – some unexpected money. Carrying $200,000 in unpaid revenue, mainly foreclosures, no usage.
Mr. Ray concluded his report – next meeting Nov 4th after the election. Ms. Wright will not here. First official meeting for successful candidates is December 2.
8. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – None
9. OLD BUSINESS – None
10. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
11. NEW BUSINESS – None
12. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – None
13. ADJOURN- 9:18 a.m.
Paul F. Manke