ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
201 SELMA AVENUE
DECEMBER 1, 2011 at 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Taylor Meals, Vice-Chair
Sydney Crampton (absent)
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Roger K. Quick, Water Operations Manager
Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, P.E., Technical/Operations Support Manager
Sonia R. Zoeller, Finance Director
Teresa L. Herzog, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and Roll Call to establish a quorum.
a. The November 2011 Attorney’s invoice was added to the Consent Section.
b. Item 5c General Liability Insurance Renewal was moved to Public Input.
3. PUBLIC INPUT
a. General Liability Insurance Renewal – Vicki Chism and Eric Fogo – Key Agency
Mr. Fogo reviewed the renewal policy stating that the policy renewal is for a 9 month time period starting January 1, 2012 with an increase of approximately 10% over last year’s renewal.
Mr. Meals moved, “To accept the District’s General Liability Insurance Renewal in the amount of $150,992.00 for a 9 month pro-rated period.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
Unanimous 11-12-01 C
4. CONSENT SECTION – Mr. Samuels called for comments and/or corrections to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Meals moved, “To approve the consent agenda.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated November 3, 2011 11-12-01 CS A
b. Attorney’s Invoice dated November 28, 2011 11-12-01 CS B
5. ACTION ITEM
a. V9 A Bid Award – Mr. Linden introduced the item. General Contracting Service was the lowest bidder and within the Engineer’s estimate. The estimated final cost of the project is $3,000,000.00.
Mr. Meals moved, “To authorize the Chair to sign and the Secretary to the Board to attest the contract documents between EWD and General Contracting Services for the V9 A Vacuum Sewer Installation and Water Main Replacement and Upgrade Project in the amount of $1,296,556.22 as stipulated in the proposal dated October 18, 2011. Project costs to be taken from Wastewater CCC.” Seconded by Ms. Wright
Unanimous 11-12-01 A
b. Banking Services Committee Recommendation – Ms. Zoeller reviewed the summary. Committee recommendation was to switch to Florida Shores-Southwest and give 120 day notice to Bank of America. The Master Banking Services Agreement will be presented for signature at the January 5, 2012 meeting.
Mr. Meals moved, “To accept Committee recommendation to use Florida Shores Bank-Southwest to provide banking services for Englewood Water District.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
Unanimous 11-12-01 B
c. General Liability Insurance Renewal – Moved to Public Input.
6. DISCUSSION ITEM
a. WRF Odor Control – Mr. Ray explained that at the WRF we continually work to improve odor control. The recently installed additional odor scrubber is working but we realize additional odor control measures are needed at the facility. An odor study will be done, based on study findings and recommendations, a proposal for the needed work will be presented at a future Board meeting. This is not a budgeted item.
7. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a. WATER OPERATIONS MANAGER– Roger K. Quick
1. DISTRIBUTION FOREMAN – Wayne Kershanick
i) Main Extensions and Loops – Olive Street, Blackburn Street and Meridian Street are complete, hydrants have also been added. West Perry Street, Maple Street and Mango Street will be next.
ii) Valve Replacement and Flushing – routine maintenance on the system continues.
iii) Meter Change out Program – new meters are in for this ongoing project.
Mr. Quick continued with his report,
1. Water Demand – 2.3 MGD is being sent out; low for this time of year, peak demand is usually February to May.
2. Wellfield II – staff is cleaning up around the fence in this area, which backs-up to Park Forest.
3. Water Treatment Plant – working on routine maintenance in preparation of season.
4. Backwash Pond Cleaning Project – ongoing project that is being done in-house.
b. TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Jarl ‘Jay’ D. Linden, P.E. – Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – a tentative date of December 6th has been set for a meeting with DEP to determine the permit modification requirements.
2. Dearborn Street Drainage Project – the project is on hold until easements are obtained.
3. Sarasota County Water Interconnect – the Notice to Proceed was granted November 30th. The preconstruction meeting will be December 7th.
4. V9-A Vacuum Sewer and Watermain Replacement Project –the RAI from the Core of Engineers contained 7 items and was received November 16th; Jonathan Cole of Giffels Webster Engineers prepared the response and returned it November 30th. They have 30 days to respond.
5. V9-B – is in the 2014 budget, the project won’t be moved up to 2013 as previously discussed because of the unknown costs associated with the odor control issues at the WRF.
5. Japanese Gardens – District Counsel is preparing the draft bulk water agreement. They will vote on moving forward at their annual meeting in December.
6. Park Forest Phase 6A – preliminary plans for 28 single family lots has been submitted.
7. Gottfried Creek Stakeholders Meeting – attended on November 17th, the Counties were required to sample their creeks and water lies. Because some of these areas exceeded EPA coliform regulations, they failed. A study is now necessary to try to lower the number. The next step is a field trip to walk the area looking for contributors to the high coliform results. This will be a long process.
8. Boca Royale – Neal Communities is interested in purchasing the last section, due diligence is being done.
c. FINANCE DIRECTOR – Sonia R. Zoeller
1. Auditors – they will be here for 2 weeks beginning Monday December 5th.
2. Payroll Company – still working on transitioning to the new software.
Mr. Ray concluded the Administrator’s report.
8. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson
a. Working on the General Bulk Water Agreement
b. Have had no response to the letter sent to the Island Utilities letting them know we would be interested in providing bulk service.
9. OLD BUSINESS- None
10. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
11. NEW BUSINESS – None
12. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
a. Mr. Meals served on the Banking Selection Committee, and commended staff on a job well done.
b. Mr. Samuels expressed his pleasure in the opportunity to use a local bank for the needs of the District.
13. ADJOURN @ 9:15am