ANNUAL & REGULAR MEETING
ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
JANUARY 6, 2011 @ 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair – Seat #1
Taylor Meals – Seat #2
Sydney Crampton – Seat #3
Phyllis Wright – Seat #4
Paul Manke, Vice-Chair – Seat #5
Michael J. Ray – Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson – District Counsel
Maureen A. Cronk – Secretary to the Board
- The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and a roll call to establish a quorum.
- ANNOUNCEMENTS –
a) Change in order – action item 7c, Package Insurance Renewal to be taken first.
3. ELECTION OF OFFICERS – Attorney Berntsson took over the meeting. Nominations for the position of Chair were requested. Mr. Meals nominated Mr. Samuels, seconded by Ms. Crampton. Ms. Wright nominated Mr. Meals. Attorney Berntsson interjected, because there were 2 nominations, a written ballot or hand ballot was necessary, a hand ballot was accepted by both. Nominations were closed, a vote taken. Mr. Samuels was declared Chair.
a) Chair – Steve Samuels
Unanimous 11-01-06 A
Chair Samuels asked for Nominations for the position of Vice-Chair. Ms. Crampton nominated Mr. Meals, Ms. Wright nominated Mr. Manke. Again, a written ballot or hand ballot was necessary; a hand ballot was accepted by both. Nominations were closed, a vote taken. Mr. Meals was declared Vice-Chair
b) Vice Chair – Taylor Meals
3/1 (Wright) 11-01-06 B
4. SERVICE AWARDS – Chair Samuels presented Service Awards with thanks and congratulations to:
a) Ron Franklin – 15 years
b) Accepting on Rory Moser’s behalf – Roger Quick – 10 years
c) Kyle Herzog – 5 years
5. PUBLIC INPUT – None
6. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments, objections and/or corrections to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Meals moved, “to accept the consent section as presented.” Seconded by Ms. Wright
a) Minutes of the Regular Meeting December 2, 2010 11-01-06 CS A
7. ACTION ITEM –
a) Package Insurance Renewal – Key Agency – Eric Fogo and Vicki Chism – Ms. Chism reviewed the policy and explained the delay in delivering the renewal package.
A brief discussion on the timing of the renewal and rates took place.
Ms. Crampton moved, “to accept the District’s Package Insurance Renewal in the amount of $182,152.00 for the year 2011.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
Unanimous 11-01-06 A
b) CY ’11 Schedule of Meetings – Mr. Ray presented the item. The proposed schedule follows that used in 2010. Because of V9A discussion, the two March meetings will be held at the West Coast Church in anticipation of a larger audience. Mr. Ray noted that meetings can be added to the schedule if necessary.
Mr. Meals moved, “to accept the Schedule of Regular Meetings for Calendar year 2011 and the Annual Organizational Meeting for 2012 as presented.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
Unanimous 11-01-06 B
c) Lab Equipment Purchase – Mr. Linden introduced the item. This equipment purchase was approved by the Board in the amount of $25,000. Quotes received were over this amount and exceed Administrator’s authority. One quote came in lower than the one we are purchasing, but it is not EPA Certified.
Ms. Wright moved,” to accept the proposal dated November 23, 2010 from LACHAT instruments in the amount of $31,855. This bid was the lowest responsible and responsive bid.” Seconded by Mr. Meals
Unanimous 11-01-06 C
8. DISCUSSION ITEM-
a) Please Note: V9A Schedule (moved to March meeting)
9. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a) WATER OPERATIONS – Roger Quick
1. Water usage is about average for this time of year, 2.4 MGD.
2. Staff has been back washing the lime plant pond; this is an in house project.
b) JARL ‘JAY’ D. LINDEN, PE – TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – The pump was installed this week, testing will begin soon. Manufacturer will be here for the start up.
2. Annual Hydrobiological Monitoring Report – The report was submitted December 29. Well rotation and rainfall is having a positive effect on the wetlands.
3. Water Main Extension – Installation is finished on Bay Park Drive, awaiting pressure and bac-T testing.
4. South Manasota Key Drainage Improvement – Project is slated for completion the end of January; we still have two conflicts to be addressed, one force main and one water main.
5. Sarasota County Water Interconnect – The DEP permits are signed.
6. SR 776 San Casa – FDOT Project – Attended the predesign meeting in December, all utilities were there. We will monitor the project.
7. Lemon Bay League – Gottfried Creek – We received a data request from Sarasota County Environmental Department for utilities in that area.
8. Arlington Cove – Neal Communities were here January 4, they may be purchasing this subdivision.
9. Drainage Project at Elsie Quirk Public Library – Only two water services need to be adjusted.
10. Annual Report to DEP and SWFWMD – Teresa and Maureen will be attending a class January 19 for instruction on filling out the report.
11. Leadership Englewood – EWD was part of their tour.
c) SONIA ZOELLER, FINANCE DIRECTOR
1. Auditors will be here January 17-31, staff is preparing for the audit.
2. Preparing the W-2s for the January 31 due date.
3. Investment balance is around $12,000,000.
10. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – None
11. OLD BUSINESS – None
12. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
13. NEW BUSINESS – None
14. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS – None
15. ADJOURN @ 9:17