ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
201 SELMA AVENUE
JULY 21, 2011 @ 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Taylor Meals, Vice-Chair (absent)
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Teresa L. Herzog, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. SERVICE AWARD – Chair Samuels presented a 20 year service award to Distribution Foreman Wayne Kershanick and a 5 year service award to Water Plant Operator Matthew Core with thanks and congratulations.
4. PUBLIC INPUT – None
5. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments, objections and/or corrections to the consent section, Ms. Wright questioned an item in the Attorney’s invoice pertaining to review of the repurchase agreements for Pine West and Englewood Farm Acres, Attorney Berntsson explained that the fees were for resolving the old repurchase agreements from the 1980’s.
Ms. Wright moved, “To accept the Consent Section as presented.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
a) Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated June 16, 2011 11-07-21 CS A
b) Attorney’s Invoice – June services dated July 6, 2011 11-07-21 CS B
6. ACTION ITEM
a) CCNA Selection Negotiation Committee – Mr. Ray presented the item,
this process is state required every five years. A Request for Letters of Interest has been advertised. Mr. Ray suggested accepting all qualified Consultants be included in the library eliminating the need for a committee. Discussion ensued and Board conclusion was to authorize Mr. Ray and Mr. Linden to review and make recommendations for Board approval to include all qualified Consultants as a normal course of business, eliminating the need to form a committee. No motion required.
7. DISCUSSION ITEM
a) Transfer of funds for meter replacement program – Mr. Ray introduced the item, at Vice-Chair Meals’ suggestion; $25,000 of year-end funds will be transferred to resume the meter replacement program at no additional cost to the District.
8. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a) WASTEWATER OPERATIONS MANAGER – Philip E. Wagoner
1. Collections Foreman – Ron Franklin –a field emergency prevented Mr. Franklin from attending. On behalf of Ron Franklin, Wastewater Operations Manager Phil Wagoner reported that installation of the IP sensing pilot program will begin in August.
Mr. Wagoner continued, with his verbal report.
1. ASR Well – a faulty pump has been replaced and the system is back on-line.
2. Odor Scrubber – the odor scrubber has been ordered with a delivery date of August 15th We anticipate it will be operational in September.
3. Headworks Screening Replacement – the project is complete, rebuilding the screens instead of replacing them resulted in a savings of $127,000.
4. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – test will conclude August 16th.
5. Headworks Piping Structure – there is a leaking pipe that can’t be repaired and needs replaced. Corrosion to the structure also needs repaired and painted. Bids will be requested and the project will be added to the FY12 budget.
b) TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, P.E. Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – EWD reviewed the report and will update SWFWMD with the results. The outcome does not look promising.
2. Water Main Extension – all permits have been received and materials have been ordered.
3. South Manasota Key Drainage Improvement Project – the final paperwork has been received and the project is wrapping up.
4. Sarasota County Sidewalk Project Phase I – is proceeding; 60-65% complete.
5. Sarasota County Sidewalk Project Phase II – is scheduled to begin January 2012. This project will be added to the FY12 budget.
6. Sarasota County Water Interconnect – the County is reevaluating the award to the apparent low bidder Kuxhausen. It appears the project will be put on hold.
7. V9-A Vacuum Sewer and Watermain Replacement Project – the letters requesting donation of easements were sent June 21st, to date no easements have been received. We will proceed with the second letter offering payment.
c) FINANCE DIRECTOR – Sonia R. Zoeller
1. Investment Report – as of June 30, 2011 there is $13.234 M in cash and investments, down $135,000 from last month after the FRS annual payment was made.
2. FY12 budget – is anticipated to be in draft form at the August 4, 2011 Board meeting.
Mr. Ray concluded the Administrator’s report.
9. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson – None
10. OLD BUSINESS-None
11. PUBLIC COMMENT –None
12. NEW BUSINESS- Chair Samuels reminded the Board of the picnic on Saturday July 23rd from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
13. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS- None
14. ADJOURN@ 9:14