ENGLEWOOD WATER DISTRICT BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
201 SELMA AVENUE
SEPTEMBER 1, 2011 at 8:30 A.M.
Board of Supervisors:
Steve Samuels, Chair
Taylor Meals, Vice-Chair
Michael J. Ray, Administrator
Robert H. Berntsson, District Counsel
Roger K. Quick, Water Operations Manager (absent) Wastewater Operations Manager Philip E. Wagoner filled in
Jarl “Jay” D. Linden, P.E., Technical/Operations Support Manager
Sonia R. Zoeller, Finance Director
Teresa L. Herzog, Administrative Assistant
1. The meeting began with the Pledge of Allegiance and roll call to establish a quorum.
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS – None
3. SERVICE AWARDS – Chair Samuels presented a 10-year service award to Finance Director Sonia Zoeller and a 5-year service award to Collections Workman II Billy Hamilton with thanks and congratulations.
4. PUBLIC INPUT – None
5. CONSENT SECTION – Chair Samuels asked for comments and/or corrections to the consent section. Hearing none,
Mr. Meals moved, “To approve the consent section.” Seconded by Ms. Crampton
a. Minutes of the Regular Meeting dated August 18, 2011 11-09-01 CS A
6. ACTION ITEM
a. CCNA Engineer Library Selection – Mr. Linden addressed the item. The 12
submitted packages were reviewed and found to be acceptable. It is staff’s
recommendation to accept all 12 firms as the District’s Professional Library.
Mr. Meals moved, “To approve as presented.” Seconded by Mr. Manke
b. Continuation of the Valve Pit Telemetry Pilot Program – Mr. Ray introduced the item. In 2010 the Board approved the pilot program, nearly a year later the requested 40 radios and antennas have been installed and testing is underway. If this equipment works, it could reduce call-out hours and protect customers from back-ups, saving the District considerable money. To get a better idea if the pilot program will be successful an additional 40 radios, new switches, and equipment for the V1 test area are requested. Long term, the same equipment could read water meters making it possible to control them from the Business Office. The additional $24,580.00 will come from the existing FY11 budget involving no budget increase.
No motion required.
c. Selection Committee for Banking Services – Ms. Zoeller introduced the item. In
2004 a Request for Proposal (RFP) for banking services was done. Wachovia
Bank was chosen but we switched to Bank of America in 2005. The
Master Banking Service contract with them has expired. A bank selection
Committee and a Board member volunteer for the committee is requested.
Mr. Meals volunteered. The committee will meet in accordance with the
Sunshine Law, review the RFPs and create a short list for Board review and
Ms. Crampton moved, “To appoint a Bank Selection Committee consisting of Sonia Zoeller, Susan Franklin, Wendy Tolley and Taylor Meals.” Seconded by Ms. Wright
7. DISCUSSION ITEM – None
8. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT – Michael J. Ray
a. WATER OPERATIONS MANAGER– Roger K. Quick(absent) Wastewater
Operations Manager Philip E. Wagoner filled in.
1. Headwork project – working on bid requests for replacement of piping,
corrosion repair and repainting.
2. Odor Scrubber – has been installed and testing is progressing. Upon
successful test results the Certificate of Completion and Consent Order will
be signed and sent to DEP.
b. TECHNICAL/OPERATIONS SUPPORT MANAGER – Jarl ‘Jay’ D. Linden, P.E.
Mr. Linden reviewed his written report with updates.
1. ASR Supplemental Reclaimed Water Source – testing is complete, a final
memorandum will be submitted by Mark McNeal of ASRus Inc. with a
meeting scheduled for September 16th to review the results and see what
will be applied for with DEP and SWFWMD.
2. Water Main Extension – materials are on site and installation will begin soon.
Area Fire Control District is seeing fire insurance savings partially because of
hydrants being added to the system.
3. V9-A Vacuum Sewer and Watermain Replacement Project –proceeding with
the Sarasota County ROW. The bid package is scheduled to be ready
9/13, mandatory pre-bid meeting 9/27 and bid opening 10/13, also
working on the easements.
4. Charlotte County Sidewalk Project – locates have been called in and the
project is scheduled to begin September 6th.
c. FINANCE DIRECTOR – Sonia R. Zoeller
1. Investment Report – on October 1st the annual $1.2M debt service payment
will be made bringing the balance down.
2. Payroll conversion – is proceeding.
3. Banking Selection Committee – the RFP is being worked on.
Mr. Ray concluded the Administrator’s report
9. ATTORNEY’S REPORT – Robert H. Berntsson
1. Title Insurance – is recommended for the easements obtained in the V9A area
to prevent possible issues during construction.
2. BP oil spill claim – looking at budget numbers, the operating net income has
decreased from 2009 to 2011. This could qualify EWD for a claim, if
proper documentation is submitted and qualifications are met. EWD could get
a settlement. It is District Counsel’s recommendation to apply for a claim. The
law firm doesn’t charge an hourly rate, just a percentage of the recovery
which is 25% for Government clients. There is no risk in filing a claim.
Lengthy Board discussion ensued relating to time limits, the formula used to
calculate the loss, possibility of future claims, loss of tourism because of
the spill and the general state of the economy. Chair Samuels called for a
Mr. Manke moved, “To proceed.” seconded by Ms. Wright
Passed 4/1 Meals 11-09-01D
10. OLD BUSINESS – None
11. PUBLIC COMMENT – None
12. NEW BUSINESS – None
13. BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS- Chair Samuels reminded the Board that the September 15th meeting has been cancelled. The next scheduled meeting is October 6th.
14. ADJOURN @ 9:16